Monday 22 August 2011

Smoke's Poutinerie

So, now that I'm back in Canada, I thought my first real blog post from here should be about our national food staple: Poutine.  Poutine is simple - fries with cheese on top, and gravy on top of that.

It's the best thing that ever came from Canada.  Except maybe Celine Dion.

So, just before I left Belgium, I heard of a new poutinerie that opened up in my hometown Hamilton.  I knew I had to go.  Here is some information, and some pictures of Smoke's Poutinerie, in Hamilton Ontario.

Smoke's Poutinerie, George Street, Hamilton, Ontario

That's the magical place.  It's located on this charming street:


at the address 112 George Street in Hamilton.  It's in Hess Village.  The poutinerie, which is open every day at 11am and until 3am on Thursdays and 4am on Fridays and Saturdays (hours listed here) uses Ontario and Québec grown potatoes and cheese from Québec as well.  Not only that, the poutines are served in biodegradable containers, so there isn't an ounce of garbage left over - the fork goes in one box, the rest in another!

This is only one location of course.  They have more locations across Canada.  This one has indoor and outdoor seating, and metred parking close by.








Well, that's that.  I just returned from a cottage weekend with the family, so stay tuned for pictures and stories from the north!

1 comment:

  1. Many would dispute the bit about Celine Dion being the best thing to come from Canada.

    Great advertising for this Poutinerie. You must have come by these skills from your third job in Belgium....photographer!

    ReplyDelete